Monday, July 11, 2016

The End of Week One

Week one is officially over, and I wish there were more than just two short weeks left. Honestly, this is my first blog post because it has been difficult to keep myself out of the water. After every snorkel we all flip through the numerous identification books to learn about the incredible organisms we saw, and share with each other. I came to Honduras with a fairly specific idea of what I wanted to study for my project, but there are so many things I have taken an interest in that it has become difficult to stick to a single topic. The coral reef just offshore is teeming with interesting things, but the dock pilings are worthy competition for attention. During one assignment for class we were required to observe and record our observations of an area for a 15 minute time period. I decided to observe the first meter of a dock piling that was below the surface of the water. The algae growing on the piling was a light green in a Y-shape with almost iridescent blue tips. Inside a dead clam shell on the piling, I observed a tiny blenny with cryptic coloration that was moving in and out of the shell to feed on the nearby algae. Everyday since the assignment, I have gone back and check on the little fish in its home. Without fail, the blenny is home, and not nearly as excited to see me as I am to see it. 

The terrestrial life on the island is just as astounding as what we have seen in the water. Hiking the island has been strenuous, as the inclines are steep, but the views are totally worth the extra sweat. The hike and climb up the lighthouse yesterday took my breath away, by exhaustion and beauty. The photo below was taken of the island and surrounding area
from the top of the lighthouse.












No comments:

Post a Comment