Sunday, July 6, 2014

Cayos Major Honduras July 1, 2014

July 1, 2014

            Well, off to a rough start with cameras and computers but finally obtained some decent photos of all sorts of underwater creatures.  I am continuing research I started last year on the Common Purple Sea Fan, a gorgonian coral, and its relationship with the Flamingo Tongue snail.  I am attempting to find out if the snail vectors the Apergillus sydowii fungus to these fans or if it aides the fan by removing the fungus.  It ingests the fungus and uses it as a toxin to protect itself against predators.  I am theorizing that the Flamingo Tongue is aiding the fan, gorgonians being its primary source of food, a feeds only a little on the fans, not decimating them, and then moves on to another fan.  It may be very difficult to determine this, but I am going to give it a go. 

            Although I am studying these soft corals (non-reef building) I have captured a lot of images of other sea life besides and share it with you now.  Unfortunately I was not prepared with a camera and missed a fabulous shot of a Sea Robin.  It was very disappointing.  That will teach me to take a camera, every time I get in the water. I hope you enjoy these pics and more to come in the following days.



No comments:

Post a Comment