Wednesday, July 9, 2014

July 3, 2014
            Went back to the first site to check on the movement of the flamingo tongues I found yesterday.  Found 4 of the 7 in this area had moved, one almost a meter away, and 3 others had remained on the fan they were on yesterday.  I also found quite a few more and marked those.  Quite a few were found on other coral than the Common Purple Sea Fan.  Yesterday I found 1 dead one (shell) at the bottom of a sea fan.  I also found what I thought was a dead one (but wasn’t) in the sediment near a sea fan. 
     The black and white measures 1 cm per stripe.  Gives you an idea of the size of these Flamingo Tongues.  Most do not get over 3 cm but  a few stretch that.  The bottom picture shows the location on the fan, in a cleared area of algae, that I might assume has been cleared by the snail as it usually covers the fan more evenly.  The 2nd pic shows Christmas Tree Worms that grow all over hard corals such as brain and boulder.  The 3rd pic I believe is a Split-crown Feather Duster worm that disappears instantly when swimming by it.

            I did not see the large spotted eagle ray today that I did yesterday.  Its tail must have been all of 5 feet long and possibly longer.  Due to the poor clarity of the water I did not get great photos of it.  It sure was beautiful though.
     Still behind blogging but trying to catch up.  So much to see.  Enjoy the pics





No comments:

Post a Comment