Wednesday, July 22, 2026

What I Recommend Packing for Marine Biology Field Research in Cayos Cochinos, Honduras

 

What I Recommend Packing for Marine Biology Field Research in Cayos Cochinos, Honduras

                                                          

Clothes

My biggest recommendation is to bring more clothes than you think you'll need.

There is a washing machine available, so technically you can do laundry. However, I have found it much easier to pack enough clothes that I rarely need to use it. Between snorkeling, hiking, boat rides, and the humidity, clothes don't always dry as quickly as you might expect, and some days you'll end up getting dirtier than planned.

I brought:

  • Five swimsuits
  • Enough shirts for every day
  • Enough shorts for every day
  • Enough pants that I would only need to wear each pair once or twice
  • Plenty of underwear and socks

Having five swimsuits has actually been one of my best decisions. It gives each one plenty of time to dry completely before I need to wear it again, and if one gets particularly dirty, I have plenty of backups.

I usually wear my swimsuit underneath my clothes, so I don't have to think about changing before or after snorkeling.

Even if you plan to avoid doing laundry, I'd still recommend bringing a small bottle of laundry detergent just in case.

                        

What Type of Clothes?

The quality of your clothes is just as important as the quantity.

I would mostly pack lightweight athletic clothing and comfortable clothes.

You'll probably spend most of your time wearing:

  • Tank tops
  • T-shirts
  • Athletic shorts

Don't skip bringing a few pairs of pants, though. I recommend lightweight sweatpants because they help protect against bug bites in the evenings and during hikes.

                                                    

Shoes

Flip-flops are probably the shoes I wear the most.

I'd recommend bringing:

  • Flip-flops (you'll wear them constantly)
  • Tennis shoes
  • A sturdy pair of shoes that can get wet, like Crocs or water shoes

Between boats, beaches, trails, and the station itself, you'll end up using all three.

       

Electronics

If you're taking Dr. Gilchrist's course, you'll definitely need some kind of computer for your research project, so don't forget your laptop and charger.

I also highly recommend bringing:

  • A portable charger
  • A flashlight

I've mostly used my phone flashlight, but there are very few lights around the island at night. If your phone dies, having a real flashlight would be incredibly helpful.

                         

Internet, Cell Service, and Communication

One thing I wouldn't spend money on is an international cellular plan (except maybe while traveling through the airport).

Once you're on the island, there is essentially no cell service.

Instead, I recommend downloading:

  • WhatsApp (or another Wi-Fi messaging app)
  • A VPN

I personally recommend VPN Super because it allows you to set your location to the United States.

This is surprisingly useful because several streaming apps, including Netflix, Peacock, and YouTube TV, don't work normally from Honduras. With a VPN, you can still use many of those services whenever you have Wi-Fi.

Since there's no cell service, WhatsApp works much better than regular texting or phone calls when communicating with people back home.

                                             

Sun and Bug Protection

If there's one thing I cannot stress enough...

BUG SPRAY.

Seriously.

Bring bug spray.

Then bring more bug spray.

Even people who use bug spray every single day still end up covered in bug bites. I ran out during the trip and definitely regretted it.

Along with bug spray, I would also pack:

  • Anti-itch cream
  • Sunscreen (reef-safe only)
  • Aloe, if you're prone to sunburns

Because you'll be snorkeling around coral reefs, make sure any sunscreen you bring is reef-safe.

Snorkeling Equipment

You'll spend a lot of time in the water, so having your own gear makes a huge difference.

I recommend bringing:

  • Mask
  • Snorkel
  • Fins
  • Anti-fog spray
  • Fin booties (to prevent blisters)

The booties are something people often forget, but they make long snorkeling sessions much more comfortable.

        

Food and Water

The station provides three cooked meals every day, and honestly, it's some of the best food I've ever had.

That being said, after several hours of swimming, hiking, or fieldwork, it's nice to have a quick snack between meals.

I recommend bringing:

  • Protein bars
  • Trail mix
  • Beef jerky or another favorite high-protein snack
  • Electrolyte packets if you like them

You'll also want a reusable water bottle. The island has drinkable water, so you can refill it throughout the day and stay hydrated.

                         

Free Time

There is downtime between activities, so bring something you enjoy.

Some ideas:

  • Books
  • Journal
  • Playing cards
  • Downloaded movies or shows
  • Kindle
  • Crochet, drawing supplies, or another hobby

                                      


                                        

Other Essentials

Don't forget:

  • Hat
  • Sunglasses
  • Passport
  • Toiletries
  • Medications
  • Hairbrush
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Shampoo and conditioner (the station provides them, but I preferred using my own.)

I also recommend bringing a small first aid kit with things like:

  • Band-Aids
  • Ibuprofen
  • Anti-itch cream
  • Antibiotic ointment
  • Allergy medicine

                       

Research Supplies

One unique part of this program is that you'll complete your own research project while you're here.

If you already have a project idea, it doesn't hurt to plan ahead and bring any specialized materials you think you'll need.

If you don't know what you want to study yet, don't stress. Once you're here, it's incredibly easy to become inspired by the reef and all of the different organisms around you.

                           

Cash

Bring some cash.

U.S. dollars are accepted in many places, and while some businesses take cards, having cash makes things much easier for small purchases and tips.

Final Thoughts

No packing list will be perfect because everyone packs differently, but these are the items I've been the most grateful to have or wish I'd brought more of.

If I had to summarize this list into just a few priorities, they'd be:

  • Bring more clothes than you think you'll need.
  • Don't underestimate the bugs.
  • Pack good snorkeling gear.
  • Bring a portable charger and flashlight.
  • Download WhatsApp and a VPN before you arrive.
  • Keep a little cash with you.
  • Most importantly, come ready to learn, explore, and spend a lot of time in and around the water.

The experience here is unlike anything I've done before, and being prepared means you can spend less time worrying about what you forgot and more time enjoying everything Cayos Cochinos has to offer.

                         

No comments:

Post a Comment