Sunday, July 23, 2023

Adios, Honduras

 I am currently sitting in terminal E of the Miami airport waiting for my very long layover. It has been two long travel days. Yesterday we pushed off Cayo Mayor at 7am sharp before having a long boat ride back to the mainland. We were picked up by the van and started off to San Pedro Sula. We hit some traffic, so the trip took quite a while. By the time we arrived at our lodging Casa Bonita (Pretty House), it was post-lunch and we were pretty hungry. Cassi, Katie, Erika, Dr Wassink and I walked a few blocks to a pizzaria where we ordered three pizzas and took them back to the hotel. The pizza hit the spot for everyone and we were very grateful to have food in our stomachs. After a little rest and relaxation to rejuvenate, we walked to the neighborhood market. I bought some chocolate for my family to test (don't tell them). We also went to a frozen yogurt stand and it hit the spot!!! 

This morning Dr Wassink, Katie and I were up at 2:00 to get to the airport. We may have overestimated how long it would take to get there, as the gate agents did not arrive until 3:30 :) That seemed to be the biggest of our problems though, so we were not complaining. After showing our exit forms, going through immigration and security, we were at our gate. The flight went well and we arrived on US soil. US passport checks went almost too fast, apparently none of us look very suspicious. The longest time we had to wait was for our baggage, which we dropped off to be checked once again. Then one more jaunt through US security and we were free to roam the airport. I bought a cold seltzer and it hit the spot. Katie and I said goodbye to Dr Wassink and then I said goodbye to Katie. I found a nice quite place at the end of the terminal where I can charge my phone. 

I am using this free time to reflect on our entire trip and writing down some of the things I will miss and some of the unique experiences we had on the island. Our bean totals did indeed turn up as 51% - a very respectable number. Many of the unique aspects of the island were sounds. At night without fail there were always mangos falling onto our roof with deafening thuds. I was awoken by the sound a few times. Another common noise was the lizards that would angrily chirp at us for being in the cabins. The iguanas on the island were some of the most dramatic creatures I have ever seen. Whenever we crossed the bridge near our cabin they would be sunning themselves. When they saw us coming, they would literally jump off - and either land on a tree or slap to the ground. It was quite funny. 

The experience of studying in such a beautiful, pure environment is one I will take with me forever. It was a true immersion and we learned so much because of it. Everyone we met throughout our travels was also amazing. The people are so kind and excited to share their culture. I feel very proud that I got to visit and I hope to visit again sometime in the future. 

A friendly (?) spider joining us on the last island night

Our last dock sunset

Dr Wassink and my bags being loaded :)


No comments:

Post a Comment