Tuesday, July 4, 2023

First Impressions


What struck me first about Honduras herself was what we saw on the van ride to our hotel after landing in the country. The disturbing way in which extreme poverty lay side-by-side with bright and shiny U.S. fast food restaurants filled me with confusion and a little horror. The only buildings that were not in a state of disrepair were the Pizza Huts, Little Caesars, Wendy’s, and a few car dealerships. Corporate logos in English were bright and shiny and clean, while juxtaposed next to rotting, handmade wooden signs in Spanish. 

 

There is no trash removal service, so what trash isn’t burned lay in piles along the roadside. I expected to see evidence of extreme poverty, but I was not prepared for the way in which that poverty was visible to me as an American tourist. There is electricity, and internet, and surprisingly decent mobile data connection in many places. Yet the buildings and infrastructure which do not cater to U.S. business requirements are crumbling. There were many places where heavily armed police or militia were standing in the middle of the road inspecting vehicles with a strange casualness. 

 

Despite all this, there was not some kind of air of despair as I expected. People seem to carry on, work hard, and make the most of what they have. People here are quick to smile, and while many are eager for you to tip them, of course, they are also very generous in some ways and eager to help.

 

I wasn’t here to ponder and lament the signs of exploitation of Honduras by my home country, however. I was here to explore the incredible biodiversity of this beautiful country, and to hopefully learn more about the people of Honduras without relying too much on my first world biases. I am particularly excited to learn more about the Garifuna people, and am eager for the Garifuna cultural night we were told about.

 

There was far too much in terms of biodiversity to fully take in within the scope of one day, which consisted of a lot of travel. However, I was able to do some snorkeling, and everywhere I looked, I saw organisms I had never seen in-person before. The colors and life of this place are almost overwhelming. At one point, a huge sting ray glided past me and I shouted in delight through my snorkel like a lunatic. Seeing living corals up close as I have is an experience I will never forget. I have already learned more by seeing things within context than I’d ever have expected.

 

Overall, I am beyond thrilled to be here and am looking forward to everything this trip has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment