Tuesday, July 11, 2023

Sunrises, Research, and Diving

 The past few days have continued along the theme of our adventure being incredible. 

The best of our shenanigans has absolutely been diving(!!!!) We got to go on on two dives today, one on the same reef we've been snorkeling, and one in quite possibly the most beautiful place I've ever been - Lion's Head. Our first dive was a nice little refresher, 45 minutes to a depth of 24ft, allowing us to get used diving as a group who haven't dove together and get used to our dive master (who was also really great, go Henry). The second dive was where the real fun was though. We loaded our gear into the boat, and man, for my first boat dive, this was a crazy one. Rather than being a fancy dive boat meant to hold tanks at a perfect place, with easy ways to get in and out of the water, it was the same boat we came to the island on. Check out the pictures to get a better idea of what I mean. Once we fell into the water, I was in awe. I mean, holy cow, I have never seen water that blue. The visibility was so good, all the way down to our max depth of 55ft. We were under for over an hour, and with the joys of the Caribbean, never once got the slightest bit cold. We had such an amazing time, definitely a highlight moment of the trip.

Our dive site
Our ride

Why do scuba divers fall off the boat backwards?

Because if they fell forward they’d still be in the boat!


Cheesing

Feesh

Invasive lion fish


Between our dives, as we tend to do, Isabelle and I got up to some nonsense, and did our laundry.  Now that doesn't sound too bad, except we hand washed them. In our shower. But hey, they're clean and now we smell a little bit less.

We’re professionals 

We've had some other fun events since my last post, including snorkeling at sunrise, another night snorkel, and beginning to work on our research projects. My project has, so far, involved a whole lot of laying transects, which have had Isabelle and I in the water for like 5 hours while I find the right spots, set my flags, conduct habitat assessments, and count a whole bunch of sea urchins. I mean, a whole bunch, like 50+ along one 15m transect. 

Habitat assessments

Science

A hunting reef octopus reaches for prey

It nets over whatever it found

And begins to eat
Peppermint skrimp

Sunrise from the water

Another little yellow ray, we see a bunch of these guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment