Monday, July 17, 2023

I may be becoming a mouth breather

To the dismay of my dentist, I may be becoming a mouth breather because of all the time I have been spending using a snorkel or regulator. I would never change it for the world. We have had another few eventful days on the island. Yesterday, Bertolo was going to walk to a touristy beach nearby to buy some coconuts, and asked if Katie and I wanted to come along. Being a little ready for some action, we agreed and put our shoes on. Up and down a few hills and some very steep stairs we went, saying hello to the people we passed. At the beach there were boats "lanchas" going in and out, each one loaded with tourists ready to swim. Some of the locals were selling baleadas and empanadas and fruit juice!! We got some ice cold tamarind juice which hit the spot. The coconut guy wasn't there yet, so we wandered onto the dock to wait in the hammocks. Because we are on a protected marine reserve, there are government boats with armed guards that come by. While we were on the dock, one of the boats pulled up and the driver got out and started talking to us. He was very familiar with New College, as we come every year. He asked about our studies, how we liked it here, and most importantly have we seen a shark yet? (We have not). He also was of the opinion that I should teach Katie Spanish - we both agreed. After a while it seemed the coconut guy wasn't coming, so instead we bought some plantains and made our way back to the resort. On our way back we saw a snake, it was fairly small, green and black. We weren't sure if it was friendly or not, so Bertolo chased it with a stick and we ran away. I am definitely appreciating my Spanish abilities because it allows me to connect with the people of the island that much more. 

After lunch, we had another adventure planned! Bertolo took us students plus Dr Wassink, Soledad (our wonderful cook and the person who is in charge right now) and Susan (mother to Nala the dog and beader extraordinaire) in the boat to a neighboring island village - Chachahuate - where they sell many souvenirs. It was nice to be able to explore another island. There were people selling many types of jewelry, conch shells and little beaded animals. Erika also got her hair braided. There was a lot of wind and waves on this island, with a strong current. It made us appreciate the current-less bay we are able to swim in. It makes research that much easier. After we got back home, Katie and I went snorkeling to count urchins again. Another incredible day was in the books. 

Today we had a more academic focus. In the morning Katie and I went snorkeling, counted her urchins and I continued my Christmas tree worm research. I am looking at whether they are light sensitive, and do they retract only if they sense water movement or can they detect light/shadow change as well? Our afternoon consisted of some computer work in front of a fan. 

I am not a huge photographer, but here are some photos of our trip to Chachahuate. 

The view of the beach from Chachahuate

The beautiful blue water we got to ride through


No comments:

Post a Comment