Tuesday, July 11, 2023

The World Below the Waves

I have had some, predictably, very eventful days here on the island and out in the water.

A few days ago, I got the opportunity to dive with a GoPro loaned to me by Dr. Gilchrist. I was able to take pictures of some of the things I saw underwater. One shot came out quite well, I thought.



(To be honest, I cannot remember the name of this yellow fish. It does look handsome in this shot, though!)


I was led to the den of a beautiful yellow and black eel by Dr. Wassink, although I was unable to get close enough to capture a decent picture. I will never forget the shock of seeing it with its head out of its den, opening and closing its fearsome mouth rhythmically as it seemed to look at me with bemusement.


We learned that day how difficult it is to perform a seemingly simple survey of a 5m by 5m quadrant underwater using only a few flags and our inexperienced wits while we fought rather choppy water.

After that experience, I began playing around with the camera, and spotted the strangest fish I had ever seen. It seemed to change color depending on whether or not it was swimming away from me in fear or hovering in one spot.



The "mystery fish" at rest.




The "mystery fish" doing its best to get away from me. (Sorry, fish!)


I couldn’t help myself, and chased the fish, gathering as much video footage of its strange display as I could. I had hoped to identify it once on dry land and with access to my professors and the internet, but I have yet to identify this fish. It doesn’t seem to be listed in any of the “common fish of the Bay Islands” literature I have looked through so far. So, at the very least, it doesn’t seem to be a particularly common fish to see, here. I am determined to find out what it was, however.

Last night, I got a treat of invertebrate displays by two different cephalopods common to this area. I witnessed baby Caribbean reef squid (Sepioteuthis sepioidea) feeding on juvenile fish near the dock after dark and managed to get video of it on my camera. But the real treat came later, when two students (Isabelle and Katie) who were in the water found a Caribbean reef octopus (Octopus briareus) and we were able to watch it hunting from the dock. It wasn’t ideal – I’d have vastly preferred to be in the water when I saw it – however it was incredible to see. It changed to a bright white in response to the two snorkeling swimmers and their dive lights shining on it, yet this did not appear to stop it from hunting.

Tonight, I am hoping to get into the water and see the beautiful creature in its world under the waves instead of above them.

(Note: this was written yesterday afternoon, but do to scheduling and lack of access to the wifi I was unable to post it yesterday.)

No comments:

Post a Comment