Friday, July 6, 2018

5 legged spider, first actual dive, and other terrifying things

        I would like to start off this blog by talking about the unnatural amount of insects on this island. during one night of studying a lovely five legged spider decided to emerge from the depths to attack Lauren's backpack, though Ben may have pushed it that way. Eventually the spider ended up running after us continuing to make everyone super uncomfortable and scared before our hero, Nika swept the spider away. I think it was just really funny because we were all tired and scared.


The demon that is a five legged spider (this dude could run)
     
     The amount of scorpions is also unreal. I'm pretty sure we are up to five in the scorpion count and for some reason they must love Lauren, Sandra, and I because they are always on the steps and wall by our room. Whenever the scorpions are on the wall, they are right at your ankles so when you walk by you just feel like you could actually die at any second. At one point I was walking up the stairs with a flashlight and Sandra warned me there was a scorpion on the stairs. so I'm like ok cool no big deal. Of course when my light hits it and I see it I jumped like a foot away before having a mini heart attack and running up to the room.
           I also recently went on my first actual scuba dive. We road a boat out to a site called lion's head. I was pretty nervous but it was honestly so fun. I got to roll in off the side of a super tiny boat. Once we got down there we did a swim through of a huge arch of corals. everything was so pretty and colorful. We saw yellow rays, shrimp, and a ton of fish that I don't know the name of. I had a great time and I was grateful that the rain held off until we got back to the island. I didn't actually take any photos on the dive because I wanted to just enjoy the experience so here are some pictures from snorkeling instead.
A super cute octopus

 anemone

The dive boat that wasn't working so we didn't use

             Later that night we all went night snorkeling. It was a little scary because I only had a flashlight and glow stick and I couldn't see much because of all the little fish and shrimp. Plus I didn't really know where I was half the time, I just trusted Lauren with my life. We saw a lot of cool things like sea cucumbers and lobsters. I was chosen by a lovely squid, who I accidentally scared, who decided to ink on me and then swim away. Never fear, my little buddy came back to visit and we saw a few other squid swimming around. I honestly felt so excited to have a squid ink on me; what a great experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment