Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Welcome to Honduras


July  1, 2018: 

 I woke up at 3:30 in the morning to catch the flight to good ol’ Atlanta which was very unfortunate considering that I have been waking up at 2 in the afternoon during the last few weeks but I somehow made it work.  Walking though the Atlanta airport reminded me of a skit off of Tru TV; people pushing and shoving, babies be thrown to strangers(?), and a lot of questionable smells. The flight to Honduras itself was pretty good if I didn’t focus on the fact we were just over a massive body of water but even if we crashed I’d be fine because I got my snorkel with me (That’s normal right?).  The Honduran airport was quite hectic maybe since I forgot how to speak any coherent Spanish?  
The drive to la Ceibawas scary at the best.  I learned that lines don’t actually exist, and pedestrians do not actually get the right-a-way.  The lush mountains were very refreshing to see after being in "mountainless" Florida for the majority of my life. Staying in La Ceiba was very nice: the dinner was good, the room had AC, the water in the shower was hot, and there was decent WI-FI if you positioned yourself the right way.  I admittedly had the urge to drink some water but decided against that after a quick google search.
La Ceiba
Good ol' Travels 



July 2, 2018

I forgot I was in Honduras. I woke up at a fresh 7:15 and headed down to meet up with everyone for breakfast but found out quickly that no one was down there so I decided on a Cliff bar to get me through the day.  We walked Paix a Honduran Walmart, and after fixing a broken toe, got some water, diet coke, some coconut and banana soda.  We headed out to the island soon after.  
Getting to the island was an adventure.  The drive, like the previous day, was scary and the boat ride almost killed me.  The boat ride took us from a port in La Ceiba to the Turtle Bay Resort  but the water was really choppy due to all the wind and the water was not excluded to the ocean; I do not think I will ever get the taste of the salt water out of my mouth.  Thankfully, unlike me, my backpack which had my computer in it stayed dry. 
Once on the island I was met by a new friend, a lab-mix(?),  she likes catching and bringing rocks to you which was the highlight of my first day. The room that I was put in is very nice although I wish there was AC but I can live without it. 
We went snorkeling which was a lot of fun even though I forgot fins L.  We saw some different reefs, a scorpionfish, and an eel which kind of scared me since I have never seen one in the wild like that but thankfully my toes are all still intact.  
Dinner consisted of tacos and carrot cake and I am not complaining.  We went out to the dock after dinner and did some stargazing which was amazing. You don’t realize how much air pollution ruins visibility until you are somewhere like this and see everything.  Going to bed was kind of hard since it is so hot in the room, but I managed to go to sleep rather quickly. 
The doggo we named Butters
Some Bridge to the room
Photo from the top of the resort
The water 


Death Counter l




No comments:

Post a Comment