Saturday, July 11, 2015

Acclimation to the Island Environment

             Just want to point out how much I've been able to learn and observe on the trip!! I definitely feel the effectiveness of the immersion model of this class. Reading and learning the material in a class and a lab offers one perspective, however having visual and tactile experience to associate the labels and terminology with makes the learning process almost instantaneous! I feel very fortunate to be on this trip and to gain all of these experiences.

            On another note, the change of pace that the island atmosphere provides is much needed for me. In the setting I find it much easier to live in the moment and to set clear objectives and goals for the day. I have also had some eye opening experiences in terms of seeing how comfortably people can survive with minimal resources. The native Hondurans in the East Village of the island are some of the friendliest people I have ever had the pleasure to meet, while living in poverty with minimal resources. Their ability to form a stable and happy community in the face of adversity and without support form the unstable Honduran government serves as a source of inspiration to me, and exemplifies that notion that hardship is relative and everyone has the potential to overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment