Sunday, July 12, 2015

Condylactis Clinger

I'm currently working on a project on the symbiotic relationship between the banded clinging crab and the giant anemone. I've been studying the crabs behavior and the way in which it uses the anemone for protection. Unfortunately, I can't hold my breath long enough to take down observations while in the field so I have been mounting a go pro camera to the sea floor to take 5 minute sampling videos. When I get back on land I analyze the videos and record observations on an excel sheet. Its a pretty lengthy process, I have ten anemones flagged that I am looking at everyday. Eventually I will do something with the data to support my claim that the banded clinging crab (Minthrax cinctimanus) is more likely to exhibit feeding behaviors and is less likely to be approached by predators if it has adequate coverage by the giant anemone (Condylactis gigantea). 

You have to look pretty closely for the crab, as the red algae growing from the buildup of calcium carbonate on its exoskeleton serves as very good camouflage.

Here are some video links!

No comments:

Post a Comment