Sunday, July 5, 2015

This morning we went out and hunted for photos for crustaceans and fish. Of course, I was super excited to just be out in the field observing stuff. Still, the parrot fish are my favorite, so (obviously) I swam after a few of them trying to get the best "glamour shot." We went out for an hour, and then Natalie and I saw everyone else heading in. Naturally, we kept at it in stride to the other side of the dock to look for more crustaceans. SO MANY LOBSTERS. I mean... three isn't considered "many" but it's ok. (Some were just dead and cooked lobster heads.) After a lot of salt water and diving down to creep on unsuspecting urchins, we finally went inside.

(Skip lunch and hour break furiously moving 250 photos into their respective places.)

This afternoon we went out and looked for mollusks and plants to the right of the dock. Because Natalie and I had already been out there, I was able to recognise certain corals as ones I saw on the first excursion. I worked on trying to perfect my photography, and found a really odd worm. Later I will identify it... probably. 

After most of the group went inside, I still (ignoring the toe blisters from the fins) went hunting and went under the dock. It was amazing! I saw a (father) seahorse hanging on to a palm fronth and I swam with hundreds of little tiny fish. It was one of the most epic experiences I've ever had. 

-Olivia Van Housen 

7.3.15

No comments:

Post a Comment