Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Snorkeling for Symbiosis

This marks day two of our individual research projects. I set out today with the goal of finding the remaining two Giant Anemones that I will be studying. It only took me a few minutes to locate the area I was working in yesterday. After flagging the remaining two, I started photographing the anemones I will be studying. I was careful to not kick my flippers too close to the anemones to avoid disturbing any organisms residing in them. In addition to taking a few close up shots I took areal shots of the locations where each anemone was found to use as reference when discussing the surrounding coral species. I noticed that many of the anemones I flagged were located under starlet coral with sea fans either nearby or directly on top of the anemone. I became tired after hunting down each flag and photographing all ten and was unable to measure the depth and distance from shore this morning. All ten anemones are flagged in a stretch no more than 25 meters long. Weather permitting, I will head back out into the field this afternoon to take the measurements.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
9
10

No comments:

Post a Comment