Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Arrow Crab Interactions

It's week two on the island and we have all begun our marine invertebrate research experiments. I'm focusing on Stenorhynchus seticornis, commonly called arrow crabs. My goal is to learn about the arrow crabs' defense mechanisms, specifically how they react to nonliving stimuli directly invading their territory. The sheer number of these crabs in the shallows waters around the resort have made my initial data collection pretty straight forward. While the results aren't as glamorous as I'd hoped - the arrow crabs have not been fighting back with their pointed, serrated heads nor with their menacing violet claws - the process has been a lot of fun! Here are a few of the pictures I've taken so far.
Stenorhynchus seticornis - Self defense with spidery legs

Stenorhynchus seticornis - Rubber band added for photographic clarity
Stenorhynchus seticornis - Tiny guy defending his territory

No comments:

Post a Comment