Tuesday, July 16, 2019

Foam 4 Days


Yesterday I had a very productive day. In the morning I wrote the geology essay, had a great lunch (as always) and in the afternoon I got two pilings done! The first piling was a relaxed time as I identified difference organisms on the piling and scanned through my slate for the correct species. The second piling was not so easy. Since it was the first one on the end of the dock the current was stronger and made not getting pushed into the piling much more difficult. Not only that but my mask was now constantly fogging up and since I had been in the water for an hour and a half I was becoming very cold. I was flooding my mask every minute to be able to see what was on the piling. But now I was used to the order of species on my slate which allowed me to be quick with the IDs. I efficiently recorded the last piling and swam as fast as I could to the shore to try to build up some warmth before braving the wind.
Today was fun and productive. All of us hiked to the jungle to the East Village and on the way came across a small not-so-pink boa! Then once we got to the village, we visited the school where we met the principle that told us all about the local animals on Cayos Cochinos as well as how the school is completely unsupported by the Honduran government making the teaching difficult. Then we were invited into the class where we distributed the construction paper and colored pencils to the students. Once we did they got drums and maracas for a dance that they started pulling us into which was fun. After, we went back down to the beach to pick up tons of foam, bottles, and bottle caps. What amazed me was that the whole beach was made up of dead corals more than mud or sand which just goes to show how coral is in such abundance here. We finished up as the last bag was filled, not coming close to picking up all the trash and made our way back to the village.

No comments:

Post a Comment