Sunday, July 14, 2019

Swimming in the Dark

The other night we went for a night snorkel and it was amazing. As I put my wetsuit and weights on I thought: where is the sunscreen? Night snorkeling is pretty nice just for that fact, no sun to worry about. Once we got out there I was impressed by my ability to know where I was based on the small area I could see. Having snorkeled so much during the day I could easily recognize where I was. 

Almost immediately after we go in the water we were greeted by a few spotted eagle rays which were the highlight of the experience. They would glide by with ease as they scooped up the plankton that our flashlights attracted right out of the water. A few times they would get within inches of us as we held the flashlights. To be swimming alongside such beautiful creatures in their own habitat was breathtaking. At a certain point, I decided to try turning off my light and within a few seconds my eyes adjusted and I could see with the light of the dock and the moon providing only slight outlines of people and the rays. I will be doing that again. 

The following day we went out for a fun-dive on Malissa and halfway out we heard some loud banging from the hull. Once they opened her up they found that one of the sides to her engine had been blown out. We all enjoyed taking the time we had stranded waiting for rescue for jumping off the top of Malissa. Once we got back we did a fun-dive on the house reef but after the night before's amazing night snorkel, it didnt even compare. 

Today I'm going to be writing an essay and going out to record more of the pilings. 




No comments:

Post a Comment