Friday, July 19, 2019

enjoy some stream-of-consciousness writing 0 editing let's go


We went to Chachawuate one. Tin took us over on the small boat, Miss Cortney. Nadine came with us, she was adorable. I went in the boat early, with just Tin, Nadine, and Elliot, and hung my legs (one at a time) off the side and into the water. It looked so inviting, all bright sea green, and it felt so good. I stuck my arms in, too. We made it to the island. Elliot got off and tied the boat to something, and then we all jumped off. It was the five of us students plus Tin, Johanna, Victoria, and one of the other people who works here. The island was small – about three minutes’ walk from one and to the other, and thirty seconds across. The side facing the big islands was sandy and gorgeous, but the side facing the mainland was rocky with strong waves. Tin said it’s the only place you can get any surfing done here. He also said that Chachawuate two was on the other side, and that during winter you can walk across. Upon getting off the boat, I was approached by two girls, one younger and one preteen, who were offering me jewelry. I bought a triangular coconut shell necklace right away. A woman and an older man offered me some later, too. I ended up buying two coconut shell necklaces and a starfish bracelet for five dollars each.  I saw three cats, all young, four to six months old. One of them was particularly cuddly. When I was looking at jewelry the second time, they were curled up under the picnic tables, and I bent down to scratch their scruff. They loved this and started quietly purring – I could feel the vibrations. Later Madyson was cuddling them – they had their front paws on her leg. I bent down and cuddled them up in my arms, and they stayed. In addition to the trash, there was a lot of smoke from cooking and from the boats everywhere, and many flies to walk through. There wasn’t really any point in wearing shoes, since the whole island is sand, but in the sunny areas the sand was so hot on my feet. I dropped my backpack off at the bar and went into the water. I walked to the point of the island near its counterpart and watched the waves. It was kind of poky, but I had dropped my olakais off in the boat upon deciding to go in the ocean, so it was too late. There was a long-fallen-over palm tree that was in the sand, half-buried. I walked over to the side of the island with the boats, feet in the water, and committed to crouching down, full body in the water. It felt so, so good. Madyson and Erika came over, and Madyson offered to take my picture. I threw up a shaka! Then I went to the other side of a boat and there was a big open expanse of water where some of the local kids were snorkeling and splashing. The pelicans soared and dove into the water and bobbed, and the frigate birds floated in large numbers above us. What was amazing, even more than how beautiful it was, was how perfectly normal it was to them. Eventually I wanted to get some pictures, so I got out of the ocean, talked to Elliot about photography, and got my backpack from Tim’s friend. I went back over to the beach and took some pictures. Then I walked over to a picnic table area (covered) and sat down, taking out my sketchbook and pencils. The girl who had sold me a coconut shell necklace came over, and I drew her, which she was very excited about. We talked in the little Spanish I had and the even less English she had, but it worked. I let her use my sketchbook and pencils since she looked curious. While she was drawing, I took out my camera to take some pictures. She used the camera too and had great fun taking a picture of the people around her, including a younger girl. She seemed so focused on her art and so happy. I gave her my sketchbook and some pencils. Then we all got into the boat, Elliot holding it down and letting it go while Tin did captain stuff, and we went back. I felt so happy and at peace in the beautiful water with the wind in my hair and my hand in the surf and the sun on my skin surrounded by Nadine and Victoria and all of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment