Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Orange Bunny Ears

Yesterday I started my research project on surveying invert diversity on the dock pilings. I’ll be surveying 2 pilings close to shore, midway out, and at the end of the dock. Different depths and hopefully some cool trends on where organisms show up depth wise. I started on the first two closest to the shore to try to figure out the logistics of taking data. It was more difficult than I imagined. The tank I intended to provide me with air at the bottom was a pain as it was unimpededly buoyant so I ended up putting 8lbs on a weight belt around the tank and it still needed more. Same went for me with my wetsuit on I was far more buoyant than I expected. I thought it would be easier to add on weight to my belt underwater instead of going back to shore to do it. As soon as I took off my belt I shot up to the surface feet first held down only by my teeth clinging to the regulator which was definitely a fun surprise. Once I got all situated, I started taking pictures of sponges and algae for identification and I saw a small discoloration. As I got closer I was elated to see it was a tiny nudibranch. After spending 30 minutes watching him being whipped around by the current and maneuvering through the harsh landscape with grace I developed a true appreciation for these tiny creatures and their daily struggle. Roger and I later identified this cutie as the Ornate Elysia.





No comments:

Post a Comment