Monday, July 8, 2019

Fireworks in the Sky and in the Water

7/4/19
Happy America Day! Though there was no celebration, I celebrated the fact that I was going to dive 3 times in paradise. First, we went to the Stadium and saw some huge coral colonies, then on the second dive, we went to Pelican Point where there was a great drop off that we swam along. I probably wasn't supposed to but I went extra deep; around 37meters down. I just kept on seeing such great corals and marine life and thought a little drop wouldn't be so bad.

Then after a filling dinner and the sun had set we went to the end of the dock and looked at the bioluminescent sparking under the water and as I looked up I was greeted by a sky full of stars. Looking out off the dock was a fireworks show in itself. Definitely a sight I won't forget.

At around nine from the beach into the pitch black water. Once we were in and all our flashlights were on the water was lit up with a clear blue glow. As we were swimming out my mind went to the what is looking at me from the dark? Quickly, I put those thoughts to rest and focused on all the cool stuff I was about to see on the sleepy reef. I turned to see a beautiful spotted eagle ray swimming 15 feet away from me. As I watched it turned towards me. 12 feet... 8 feet... 5 feet!... 3 feet?!... 2 FEET - I shook my flashlight at it to hopefully deter it from stinging me and it quickly pivoted and swam off. Close call I thought, turns out they don't sting and are totally harmless.



No comments:

Post a Comment