Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Finally the pictures you have waited your whole life, Erika

Yesterday, an amazing soul (Elliot) lent me their functioning underwater camera to finally record and conduct my latest greatest Scientific Project ever.....................................................
Sponge Regeneration. (Marine Science  research addition)

As someone who has done extensive projects on leukocyte defense mechanisms in lizard Malaria, Madagascar periwinkle Carpel fusion, and  E.coli  cross-examination between Humans, Dogs, and Cats, doing something marine science is a bit left-field already. Although molecular biology and medicine-related research are my Bae forever.  The idea to study Sponge regeneration came after hearing an interesting lecture about sponges and the medical research on them that piqued my interest. So not too much left the field in reality. Even though, I won´t be in a lab using a microscope to go in full details. I have been super pumped to study these little rascals.

However...  The cameras. The underwater Cameras. Yes, the ones that I need to record some data other than writing down some measurement down on a diving slate. I swear they are out to get me. ( so are the coconuts. But that´s another blog post).  There have been too many mishaps that have occurred and I hardly know the root of the problem and neither do some people just that they won´t turn on despite the charging. There were times where I got two go pro cameras to finally work but I later figure out that they had bad battery life and then they are hard to recharge. Also, I have a hard time opening this one camera from its water prof case so my pictures will be there for the time being. One of these days I will get that case to open up and then we can be the best of friends. There is another story of a lovely red underwater camera that Professor Gilchrist was absolutely a sweetheart in fixing it up for me. My eyes lit up with pure joy and excitement when it turned on while I was on land. I even did a little swaying side to side dance when I was sitting. Dr. Gilchrist even chanted ¨Erika got a camera.¨ It may be one of the happiest moment of my life. The Next day there was a trip to a new diving site where I can snorkel and try out the camera. I tried it in the water bucket on the boat. It turned ON!! Oh, how lovely! I was going on this morning trip for pure enjoyment and then when I got back I would have a Productive Sponge experiment. My fears will dissipate and I will be able to get all of the data and have the potential to find a trend. I would be able to at least write a decent report to pass this course. OH, How Naive was I!  I jumped into the clear salt water and Then absolutely nothing. It didn´t turn on.  My fantasy was shattered to pieces. But it was a great snorkel tho. Somehow the camera was soaked so I put it to dry. There weren´t any bubbles from what I observed. I may be going blind. Anyways, a pair of AA batteries will come one day as in tomorrow. Note to past self: bring an underwater camera. I am still not giving up hope! Some How Some way I am going to get my pictures and make a decent project out of it!!! :) *I am filled with determination* 

I still was able to make some progress in my project regardless. I have measurements. And Thanks to Elliot, 22 wounded sponges. YAY!!  
Sponge Bob and his family had it coming.

Without further ado, I present you THE SPONGE BOB EXPERIMENT Photos!! 
Warning: I am an amateur photographer and snorkeler.
Here are some wounded sponges. 

There is a starfish and one of its arms is covering a recently wounded sponge. Some Starfish tent to eat sponges. So this is an interesting development. 
I am still processing some of the data and I took some measurements of the wounds today. 

Well, This is Marceline the Drama Queen (¨á¸¾arcy Calle¨) signing out from this post. 


No comments:

Post a Comment